Thursday, January 21, 2010

Gettin' Ready!

Tomorrow we leave for Guatemala. "We" are about 40 people from all over the country, coming together to provide medical and dental services for people in Guazacapan, Guatemala. We were there two years ago, so it will be good to go to some place familar.

Those of you that know me know I'm not medical. So, why am I going? I've wrestled with that question myself. The last two years I went to take pictures while my husband shot video. Later, I helped him compile the images into a presentation shown at our church in Nashville, TN. This year we decided not to shoot video, so my husband will take the pictures. What's left to do? I only speak a little Spanish. I don't pull teeth (even when they were my children's), I don't de-worm, I don't take blood pressure, etc. All of those jobs are better handled by someone else.

What do I do? As I've thought about this question, I think God has provided me with a couple of answers:
1) I love. I've prayed that God would grant me a special love for the people of Guazacapan, the kind of love that can be understood without language.
2) I tell stories. I think part of my job is to watch, listen, and retell the stories of the work we do.
3) I pray. I plan to spend part of my time prayer-walking our clinics. I can intercede on behalf of all who arrive for care that we will be able to meet their physical and spiritual needs.
4) I encourage. Days can be long, and the conditions difficult. Reminding the doctors, nurses, dentists, and others that they are doing a good job can go a long way in making the days bearable.

I hope I will be able to do a lot more. But I know I can do these things.

What do you do?

"So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life-your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life-and place it before God as an offering." Romans 12:1 The Message

No comments: