Tuesday, January 29, 2013

It’s all about Prayer


All day long I prayed asking God to show me what today’s blog should be about.  I waited and wondered, “What will He show me?”  His answer to my prayer was just that – it truly is all about prayer.

We prayed before we came that we would be God’s servants.  We asked you to pray for us while we are here.  We have prayed while we are here.  It’s all about prayer.

We prayed for travelling mercies and for medicines to clear customs without incident.  We all arrived safely, all our medicines and bags arrived except for two, and they arrived the following day.  Today Michelle, a doctor from Colorado, arrived safely to complete our team.

We prayed that our bus would run and would be free from mechanical difficulty.  So far, so good!  However, we forgot to pray for the other vehicles!  Today, the red pickup truck carrying our supplies had a flat tire in route to the clinic.  Then, later in the afternoon, it narrowly missed hitting several of our team members when the brakes failed.  Our prayer for safety was answered again.

Yesterday, Doug Nally, our dentist, related this story:  “A lady came in and needed two teeth pulled.  As I was pulling the first, it broke, and some of the root didn’t come out.  I tried and tried to get it, but I just couldn’t.  I went to the other tooth and pulled it without difficulty.  I was ready to give up when Brian said ‘You can’t give up.  You have to get it out.’ Even though I had no confidence that I could, I told him to let me rest for a minute.  I got a drink of water and prayed ‘Lord, I need your help to get this broken root out.’  I went back to the patient, gave two tugs on the tooth, and out it came!”

We prayed for the health of the team members.  So far, so good!  Even today, after asking for prayer for endurance, the stamina of the team seemed much improved.  Will you continue to pray for restful sleep?  The dogs and roosters around here are very loud. They bark and crow, seemingly at each other, at all hours of the night!

Near the end of today’s clinic, a woman came to the eyeglass station.  After determining she needed a +1.00 pair of glasses, Missy began to look for them.  Certain they were in the box, she looked and looked but could not find a single pair of the right strength. Breathing a prayer that she would have the glasses this woman needed, Missy found a lone pair of glasses in the bottom of the storage trunk that had fallen out of their box.  You guessed it!  There was the very last pair of +1.00 glasses.

Even in the little things, answered prayer is evident.  Our shower water is heated by electric coil contraptions mounted on the showerhead nicknamed the “widow-maker” (seriously!).  Sometimes they work well, other times they are very temperamental.  More than a few of us have breathed “Lord, just a little hot water?!”  And those hot showers feel amazing!

“The first thing I want you to do is pray.  Pray every way you know how for everyone you know.”  1Timothy 2:1





2 comments:

Unknown said...

My experience is that Prayer doesn't always come naturally to those freshly exposed to the Faith. But, it certainly does seem to work for those who Trust. That's encouraging! All of your examples offer a lesson to all those you touch, both there and here back home! Great going! And Ola to Bueno Margarita...message received!

Today's Curry County View said...

I miss y'all I wish I could have come However the Lord had some things for me to do here.