Friday, January 20, 2017

My Playlist is Empty

On most days, I see the good in life.  But, on days like this that start at 3:00 a.m., I must try harder to see the good in them.  My philosophy of life is - If it is too early for the sun, it is too early for me!


We arrived at Crievewood Baptist Church at 3:30 a.m. to meet other team members from Luke 9:2 Ministries.  It turns out I was not the only one having a rough start.  Some slept through their alarm.  Some had arranged for rides to the church that never showed up.  Once were got to the airport, one person in our group who shall remain nameless even had to go through security…twice.  Nerves ran high for those who had never flown before.  Even after a cup of coffee, I felt like I was running on empty.


Our flight to Atlanta was uneventful.  We navigated our way smoothly to the gate for the Tegucigalpa flight, and boarded our “fancy” plane. 


This plane had TV screens mounted in the seatbacks for every passenger. On these touch-screens, you could play games, watch TV or movies, listen to music, or even follow the progress of the plane.  I clicked on a few of the buttons, including the music icon.  I got the message that said, “Your Playlist is Empty.”  The only option was to push “OK.”  I pushed OK…and nothing happened.  I continued to push OK, and nothing continued to happen.  In my sleep-deprived mind, it seemed somehow fitting that my screen wouldn’t work.  With nothing else to do, I took a nap.


When I awoke, the sun was shining brightly, the plane ride was smooth, and my screen still said, “Your Playlist is Empty.”  Bummer. 


I felt better after my nap so I started talking to those sitting around me.  I got reacquainted with longtime friends, made new friends, and looked forward to landing in Honduras.


At the airport, we met up with our Honduran physician and friend Dr. Ponce, and our longtime friends Jorge and Bremelly Luna.  We loaded the busses with our luggage (minus two bags that are still in Atlanta) and headed to the mall for a very late lunch.  Next, began the always interesting bus ride through the city on roads that were only made to handle about half the amount of traffic they see at any given time.  We arrived safely at Cofradia about dark thirty, had time to unpack and then to enjoy a dinner of spaghetti (Honduran style).


After dinner, we gathered for team time where we introduced ourselves, heard details of the clinics for the week, and received a general orientation on life in Honduras (don’t drink the water!).



Finally, we shared memories of our friend, Doug Nally, and as a group, we mourned his absence.  But, as Susan so clearly reminded us, “This trip was never about Doug.  It has always been about serving others in need.”



“Your Playlist is Empty.”  I disagree.  As I think back on today, I think my playlist is full.  My “playlist” includes a whole bunch of favorites, like “Friends Are Friends Forever,” “Reunited and It Feels So Good,” and especially “Great is Thy Faithfulness, Lord Unto Me.”


No comments: